Hey there, welcome to the grey zone between eclipses.
We had our Leo Full Moon Lunar Eclipse on January 31st, and then on February 15th we will experience the second and final (New Moon) eclipse of this Eclipse Season.
I don’t like to hype up Eclipse Season too much since there is already enough of that out there – and it is something that happens twice a year, so we’ve all traversed this swirling vortex many times now. And yet, if the energy feels different to you and you have been feeling high-strung, anxious or just kinda “off” and not yourself since about mid-January (and increasingly so in the past week)… know that that is pretty common for this ~36 day time period (especially if either eclipse is directly activating a sensitive point or planet in your chart).
I mean, when you think about it… without the life-giving energy of the Sun, nothing would exist… and without the Moon’s gravitational pull, there would be no ocean tides (consider this in light of human bodies being 60% water). I am not a scientist, but it seems to be a reasonable possibility that during Eclipses, when the Sun and Moon do weird things (like align in syzygy, disappear and go dark), we would arguably feel this energetically and physically.
Eclipse Season can stir up a lot of fast-moving change. The time between eclipses is often called a portal, or a liminal space between that which was, and that which is not yet.
Imagine being in a waiting room. You’ve entered the first door (the first eclipse), and now you are in this mysterious space, waiting to enter the second door and leave the room. Something is underway, something is shifting, something is emerging… but you don’t quite know what the outcome will be or what it will look like on the other side.
It can be a disorienting space, but also potentially one of expectancy and anticipation.
One of the reasons for the discomfort is that most humans struggle with change (especially fast-moving change), because it involves a level of uncertainty… and “the uncertain future” is a challenging condition of this World of Time we exist in. Collectively our response to “the uncertain future” is often anxiety and fear unfortunately, rather than hope and optimism. It’s an understandable human reaction, although one that is typically unpleasant.
Furthermore, the Eclipses occur on the Nodal Axis. The North Node (currently in Leo) is about personal growth through stepping out of our comfort zone.
The South Node (currently in Aquarius) is about holding that area of your chart with an open hand, prepared to release and let go that which may be inhibiting your growth.
While this sounds positive overall in terms of the big picture, releasing the familiar and safe in order to step of our comfort zone is… often uncomfortable.
With the North Node in Leo, we are being collectively propelled toward individual creative self-expression, identity development, and the passionate pursuit of that which brings us joy. Ruled by the Sun itself, this core area of growth can increase vulnerability and sensitivity around other people’s perceptions of us, our confidence and self-worth, and the value of our unique contributions to the world. This then can manifest as increased insecurity or obnoxious ego overcompensation (also a form of insecurity).
Cultivate some courage and unshakable core strength as we stand in between doorways! If the universe feels like it is holding its breath, the exhale is on its way!
On TUESDAY Venus will sextile Uranus. With two feisty air and fire signs involved (Aquarius and Aries) you can expect the meeting between the lover and the rebel of the solar system to create some sparks. Anticipate an unusual, unconventional or unexpected twist in the realms of relationships, money and pleasure. It might be just what you need to throw off the sometimes clingy claustrophobic weight of this liminal phase.
On WEDNESDAY the Last Quarter Moon arrives. We are mid-way between the Lunar Eclipse (Jan. 31st), and the Solar Eclipse next week (Feb. 15th). The Moon will reach its 90 degree angle to the Sun, while conjunct Jupiter in Scorpio. This Moon wants you to go deep in to the murky depths before moving forward with the progress that the Sun in Aquarius so desires. Take a good hard look at those fears, those shielded secrets, and those less polished areas of your life.
Where might fear and shame be holding you back?
The powers of alchemy and transmutation are always available to you for creating new life where there was once decay. Clear some energetic and psychic space for next week’s lunation cycle.
As Mercury sweeps over the South Node in Aquarius on FRIDAY, what will the celestial messenger drop on your doorstep? Arriving through words exchanged or with flashes of insight, this transmission could be a time capsule from the past, delivered for re-assessment, or it could be a whispered request, asking you to release your tight grip on some area of your life you’d rather not let go of.
SATURDAY brings us Venus’ entry into Pisces, within a single minute of the Sun perfecting its square to Jupiter; the traditional ruler of Pisces, now currently residing in Scorpio.
Sweet, sweet surrender.
This simultaneous transit feels like a moment of celebratory relaxation after laboring hard for a particular outcome. Sun square Jupiter can be a little bombastic sometimes, but the water influences are so strong here, I would anticipate a smoother performance. And yet, with Scorpio involved there could still be some power struggles, so make sure you navigate any rising intensity with self-awareness and insight, before sinking into Pisces’ romantic lair and breaking out the champagne.
That’s it for the week’s forecast, but in an effort to ease the navigation of this grey liminal inbetwixt zone, I thought I would provide some pointers as to how this Eclipse Season might be showing up in your life.
I created Nodal Horoscopes!
First, a couple caveats…
I’ve organized the information according to your transiting North Node placement by House, which will be wherever Leo is in your birth chart (the South Node will be directly opposite it in the house holding Aquarius). For greater accuracy, look for the house in which 15 degrees Leo falls if you are unsure of where the transiting North Node is. If you have never tried to read your chart before, check out these instructions.
I find that Aquarius, perhaps due to having two rulers (Uranus and Saturn), can be expressed and lived out in very contradictory ways. Aquarius is often fiercely individualistic and independent, and yet is acutely aware that the collective progress it envisions is impossible without the group collaboration that brings together many diverse skill sets and resources.
I’ll write more about this later, but as the brilliant Aquarius (within us all) tries to find that most effective outsider/insider position, sometimes it can veer toward the extreme of “too much group”, which drowns out Aquarius’ originality while it is placated with the knowledge that it’s serving an important purpose within the larger machinery of the collective…
…Or it can veer toward the extreme of “too much self”, where it can become so stubbornly uncompromising in its own ideals and opinions that it refuses to collaborate and connect with anyone.
Think about how YOU experience the Aquarius portion of your chart. With the South Node in that area, we want to be releasing the shadow expression of Aquarius – whatever that is for each one of us personally. I’ve tried to write these brief Eclipse Season pointers with the complex nature of Aquarius in mind.
Finally, “hold it with an open hand” is my new favourite conceptualization of the South Node life content. Sometimes “release” or “let go” are strong words that can prompt extreme or forced action that we are not ready for, or it isn’t necessary in the way we think it might be (although granted, some behavior I list in this category should be let go of!). Start with at least just loosening your grip on that area of your chart as you figure out where you’re headed.
Since the nodes are half-way through their 18-month journey in Leo and Aquarius, as of ~ May 2017 (or as early as February 2017) you’ve probably already begun the “loosening process” that this eclipse series is highlighting. Think of this set of eclipses like a “reminder” of that Nodal Project you’ve been working on 🙂
Remember, these are just points for reflection! An astrological chart is complex – just like you are 🙂
Leo North Node in the 1st House:
- Hold with an Open Hand (&/or release): Relationships (including friendships) that are emotionally distant and detached, and exist primarily because of their “use value” (for either person); stubborn resistance to the development of any positive relationship and emotional bonding that threatens your independence with the offer of interdependence; refusing to resolve a dispute because you don’t want to compromise or admit you were wrong; friends and partners who inhibit or judge your originality and unique self expression – people who don’t accept and appreciate your true self.
- Grow Toward: Passionately pursuing that which gives you joy; unabashedly welcoming happiness without fearing that future circumstances will take it away; increasing confidence in everyday interactions; trusting in your motivation and capacity; the courage to be seen and heard for who you truly are; changing up your physical appearance to reflect your inner vibrancy.
Leo North Node in the 2nd House:
- Hold with an Open Hand (&/or release): Messy financial entanglements with the groups you are a part of; group drama; dominating strict control over shared finances; casual sexual encounters that are not mindful and sensitive of the other person’s emotional investment; cold emotional barriers designed to defend against emotional vulnerability; extreme minimalist or nomadic living to avoid risking attachment and loss; a hesitation with expressing your wonderful weirdness and unique, unconventional self in more public ways, for fear of rejection and judgement.
- Grow Toward: A healthy appreciation of transient material stuff that brings you joy; generosity combined with prudent financial management; grounded consistency and stability in life (especially with finances); awareness and confidence in your personal value, worth and income-earning capacity; the development of your skills and abilities as a creative person / artist; the courage to invest in assets that are important to you (even if they somewhat limit your freedom).
Leo North Node in the 3rd House:
- Hold with an Open Hand (&/or release): Involvements with certain religious or spiritual groups; resistance to participating in religious or spiritual groups; an overly rational perspective on spirituality; long-distance travel to avoid important responsibilities near home; the pursuit of higher education because of elitist ideals that don’t resonate with your heart; absolute certainty in your big-picture life plan; dogmatic philosophical views.
- Grow Toward: A willingness to investigate and entertain a variety of creative options; an openness to many paths, many possibilities, and many points of view; a focus on mutual learning, listening and sharing – facilitating a balanced exchange of information, rather than preaching or teaching a single perspective; developing your creative capacity through writing and other forms of communication (including theatre and singing); making time to have light-hearted fun with siblings, cousins, and friends.
Leo North Node in the 4th House:
- Hold with an Open Hand (&/or release): Preoccupation with reputation, public roles and social identities; uncompromising stubbornness in regards to long-term goals; prioritizing career at the expense of personal life and self-care; erratic, insensitive leadership; a job or career path that makes you feel useful, but doesn’t allow for the expression and cultivation of your unique skills and creative interests.
- Grow Toward: Searching within to reconnect with what brings you passion and joy in life; spending time with family (inherited or created) and close friends that provide you with a deep rooted sense of belonging; engaging in self-care to revive your inner spark; investing time in cultivating a home space that rejuvenates and inspires you; taking time off from work to play; working toward healing and freeing your inner child from legacies of family baggage.
Leo North Node in the 5th House:
- Hold with an Open Hand (&/or release): Prioritizing your group involvements (e.g. networks, teams, associations, collectives, collaborations, friend circles) to the extent that your personal and individual creative development suffers; or conversely, an uncompromising stand-offish stance that prevents you from finding a group where your vision and efforts will be appreciated; assessing individual group members only for their use-value and what they can contribute to the group’s aims; being so future-oriented you miss out on the present moment.
- Grow Toward: Creative self-expression; individual artistic development; investing in personal growth; if you have children, spending more time with your kids; enjoying romantic dating without obsessing over where its headed; passion projects and doing stuff just for the fun of it; spending time on hobbies and leisure even if they are not contributing to a larger goal; learning to be in the present moment and enjoying where you are at.
Leo North Node in the 6th House:
- Hold with an Open Hand (&/or release): Withdrawal; hiding from the world; giving up; socially isolating yourself as a way to numb pain; escapism; spiritual by-passing; overlooking practical needs in the name of enlightenment; over-estimating or under-estimating your innovative originality and brilliance; sacrificing yourself to a greater cause to the extent that your well-being suffers and you lose a sense of individual identity; getting lost in the depths of your subconscious, overly preoccupied with analyzing the inner workings of your psyche.
- Grow Toward: Applying structure within your day; taking care of your health; cultivating habits that make you feel good about yourself; practicing or working diligently at some creative project in order to improve and progress; adjusting your daily responsibilities and commitments so that they give you life; cultivating an inspiring work atmosphere at your employment setting; spending relaxation time with your pets or other animals; encouraging and supporting those that you interact with throughout your day-to-day routines.
Leo North Node in the 7th House:
- Hold with an Open Hand (&/or release): Uncompromising self-interest and independence; an overt focus on how you are perceived by others or how others react to you; an intensely rational perspective on life which might be pulling you down; prioritizing your typical way of doing life in order to maintain an internal equilibrium rather than growing through relationships; emotionally detached interactions with others that are evaluated based on how “useful” each person will be for the other.
- Grow Toward: Cooperation and collaboration; healthy interdependence; love commitments; relationships that cultivate a healthy, vibrant sense of confident identity in both partners; working on a creative passion project with another person; enjoying friendships, partners, and one-on-one interactions simply because of the joy it brings you to be around them.
Leo North Node in the 8th House:
- Hold with an Open Hand (&/or release): Worry over material and financial assets; preoccupation with financial independence and self-sufficiency; overly-attached to tech gadgets; employment in a context where your visionary and innovative leadership gifts are not being fully harnessed; an extreme focus on utility and efficiency when it comes to material assets.
- Grow Toward: Navigating and staying present with times of uncertainty, risk, and chaos; facing deep fears and allowing yourself to experience vulnerability (especially in relationship); braving increased intimacy with others; finding the courage to potentially release all familiar stability and security in your life in order to grow; investigating and unearthing all insecurities related to identity, creative self-expression, confidence, and self-worth – in order to liberate yourself from fear.
Leo North Node in the 9th House:
- Hold with an Open Hand (&/or release): Constantly and erratically collecting and sharing more and more information without a particular purpose; always feeling you aren’t ready yet because you think you have more you need to learn and prepare first; getting distracted considering other options; scattering your energy investments too widely without direction; over-thinking, over-analyzing and ruminating; bringing an extremely rational perspective to all your conversations and communications.
- Grow Toward: Cultivating greater faith, hope and trust in the universe; taking a chance on big creative visions and opportunities that involve a risk; letting spontaneity and intuition guide you; sharing your creative self with the world in a big way in order to inspire others within leadership roles (such as through teaching or performing); seeking travel and education opportunities that will expand your perspective and fill you with passion and enthusiasm for life.
Leo North Node in the 10th House:
- Hold with an Open Hand (&/or release): Your literal place of residence; attachment to familiar family and community networks that may be inhibiting your long-term goals; reluctance to address the possible feelings of exclusion, judgement, or rejection you may have experienced within your family of origin; attachment to emotional safety and security to the extent that you may be resistant to moving forward in the public sphere where a thicker skin is required.
- Grow Toward: Developing your public roles and social identities; investing in your long-term career goals; stepping into leadership positions within the public sphere; launching or developing a (possible arts or performance based) business that bears your unique creative stamp; seeking deep fulfillment through your vocation; persevering and working hard in order to build the structures and foundations that will manifest your creative vision for your career.
Leo North Node in the 11th House:
- Hold with an Open Hand (&/or release): Extreme individualism; stubborn independence; an identity built around being an outsider or a rebel; a reluctance to share your creative experiments and innovative endeavors with others; an overt preoccupation with your children or your lovers at the expense of your participation in community; difficulty letting yourself relax and “have fun” when it isn’t contributing to a personal goal or when it doesn’t make any “rational sense” to do so.
- Grow Toward: Collaborative group involvements (especially ones that center around the arts, theatre, music, dance, etc.); sharing your passion and inspiration with people in your community; working on a long-term creative project with others; exchanging mutual support and encouragement within a group context; discovering or rediscovering groups where you feel truly accepted – like you belong.
Leo North Node in the 12th House:
- Hold with an Open Hand (&/or release): Routines, schedules, and chores that inhibit your creativity and joy; an overly strict or extreme health regimen that ends up draining you and making you unhappy; employment contexts that do not value your unique skill sets and innovative leadership capacity; conflicts with co-workers due to unreasonable refusals to compromise; daily responsibilities that involve group collaboration (or working for someone else) which stifles your freedom; other people micro-managing your time.
- Grow Toward: Working behind the scenes on a personal/creative project that will take time to come to fruition; exploring your subconscious realms; freeing yourself from an obsession with time and structure; taking a break from daily commitments (and possibly employment); retreating from social engagement for the purpose of rejuvenation, or to care for someone else; investing your energy into your spiritual development; rediscovering yourself by connecting with something larger than yourself; reflecting on your life and cleaning out areas in order to welcome greater joy.
I hope that gave you some idea of how these eclipses might be showing up in your life, but every eclipse chapter will bring new lessons and new developments to your front door. If you are feeling as bewildered and confused as I am right now, remember, we are in the liminal in-between space.
In the words of Christine Mcdougall, as you move through this liminal in-between space, “slow down; The moment is calling you to pay… exquisite… attention…”
May you walk through the fog with patience 🙂
Pssst… for additional and more frequent cosmic weather updates, follow Lilith Rebellion on Instagram and Facebook. To receive a weekly cosmic weather overview by email, subscribe to Lilith Rebellion email updates. The week’s cosmic weather forecast will be published on the blog every Monday, with periodic additional posts to mark important cosmic events.