So… I totally procrastinated today and avoided what I was supposed to be working on by researching the astrology of the 10 Academy Award nominees for best actor/actress in a leading role… which is determined tonight in Los Angeles, California.
One of the Piscean associations that is rarely mentioned, is the sign’s symbolic resonance with the film industry. Pisces is the sign of illusion and fantasy so this is clearly a natural fit, right?
For example, movies spin magnificent, immersive stories that allow us to “escape” our everyday lives and be transported to another place, another time – as Pisces so loves to do. Movies also activate our brain’s mirror neurons by compelling us to deeply empathize and connect with the characters – a very Piscean quality. When the film’s characters laugh, we laugh. When they cry, we cry…
…If the acting is skillful, that is.
Earlier today I was thinking about the Academy Awards happening tonight, and it occurred to me that actors would likely benefit from having some strong Pisces or Neptunian aspects in their birth charts.
The ability to blur the boundaries of the separate ego and surrender to another reality, another identity, is often considered a vulnerability of Pisces placements and Neptune aspects because these influences can erode a solid and confident sense of self and create confusion. However, for an actor this capacity would clearly be a strength and an asset in their profession since it would allow them to transcend the limitations of their own ego, and deeply merge with the identity of the character they were trying to play, to the extent that they may “lose themselves” to the role.
After reflecting on this, here is the research question I articulated:
What are the Piscean-Neptunian astro signatures among the 10 Academy Award nominees for best actor/actress in a leading role? (if any)
Of course, not every actor in the film industry would necessarily have a Piscean-Neptunian signature in their birth chart because 1) many in the film industry have found success using assets that do not necessarily include solid acting skills, let’s be real, and 2) there are other potential signifiers in a chart that could correlate with strong acting ability and diverse creative expression (e.g. Leo, Gemini, 5th House placements, etc.).
Furthermore, not everyone with strong Piscean-Neptunian astro signatures will be a natural at acting. The whole chart needs to be taken into consideration. Pisces considered alone, for example, can be a more shy and introverted type of expression that would want to avoid the public professional arena of acting.
And yet… I hypothesized that among the nominees for tonight’s award show, given the acknowledged caliber of their acting ability, their birth charts would likely contain strong Pisces placements or notable aspects with Neptune.
A few notes on my methods…
I was only able to access exact birth times for 3 out of 10 nominees. Otherwise I used only their birth date and location. This is quite limiting since I don’t know if Pisces or Neptune are located on an important angle, which would give these energies greater prominence, but regardless, I cast their charts with a default Aries Ascendant to see what I would find.
I was primarily looking for any of the 5 personal planets/luminaries in Pisces (i.e. Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars), or any of the 5 major aspects (conjuction, square, opposition, trine, sextile) between Neptune and a personal planet.
I have bolded the relevant aspects in my results section below, but I also reference the other aspects that Neptune makes for your interest. Neptune’s aspects to outer planets, or outer planet placements in Pisces, were not as interesting to me since they are not as influential on an individual level. Outer planets move very slowly and are captured in the birth charts of everyone born around the same time period.
Okay, enough preamble, here’s a summary of my analysis:
- Each of the 10 nominees have at least one major aspect between Neptune and a personal planet, or a personal planet placed in Pisces (important Piscean-Neptunian contacts might increase if I was able to adjust the charts according to their birth times)
- 8/10 either have Mars in Pisces, or a major aspect between Mars and Neptune
- 5/10 have a major aspect between the Sun and Neptune
- 4/10 either have Moon in Pisces, or a major aspect between the Moon and Neptune
- 3/10 have a major aspect between Mercury and Neptune
Overall, this level of Piscean and Neptunian influences is what I expected to see, but I must admit that I was surprised to see so many Piscean-Neptunian contacts with Mars – more than I found with the Sun, Moon, and Mercury!! 8 out of 10 nominees?!
A quick review of planetary symbolism:
The Sun speak to our conscious, purpose-driven self seeking to externally manifest its creative essence. The Moon speaks to our internal emotional sphere, and how we soothe and care for ourselves and for others. Venus speaks to what we find beautiful and valuable, and how we then attract it and connect with others. Mercury symbolizes our thinking, learning, communicating brains.
And Mars? Mars is like our pure, undiluted energy source. Our fuel for life. Our engine. Mars speaks to what motivates us, how we take action toward our desires, how we assert ourselves, and how we express our sexuality, our passion, as well as our anger.
The power of our Mars can be harnessed by the other planetary bodies to fulfill their needs, but when isolated, I conceptualize Mars in simple terms as the raw energy that underlies everything we do.
I’m mostly brainstorming out loud right now… I will have to reflect on these prominent Mars contacts with Neptune and Pisces for a while longer, but it seems to me that for a complete immersion into the identity of a fictional character, perhaps it would be the most vital for an actor to be able to transform the expression of their energy at the ground level – through their Mars.
Of course, the Sun, Moon, and Mercury having access to Piscean-Neptunian qualities, would also benefit an actor.
What are your thoughts??
Below I’ve included the charts of all the nominees with the relevant astro highlighted. For fun – and for those of you who are astro nerds – I’ve also included a summary of the transits they are experiencing around the time of the awards show on March 4th.
Remember too, especially if you decide to watch the ceremony, that today we have the Sun conjunct Neptune in Pisces, and a triple conjunction between Venus, Mercury and Chiron in Pisces. These are significant transits and we can often see the symbolism of important astro show up in obvious ways during highly publicized events or ceremonies such as this. Check out my previous weekly forecast for a more detailed reflection on the meaning of these transits occurring today.
The 5 nominees for Best Actress in a Leading Role are…
Sally Hawkins (April 27, 1976, London), nominated best actress for ‘The Shape of Water’ – Neptune in Sagittarius
- Neptune trine Moon in Aries (2 deg orb)
Sally Hawkin’s major transits around March 4th include:
- Sun square natal Neptune (March 3rd)
- Mercury & Venus (& Chiron) trine natal Saturn (March 4th)
- Mercury & Venus (& Chiron) sextile natal Mercury (March 4th)
- Saturn trine natal Jupiter (March 4th)
- Mars trine natal Venus (March 6th)
- Chiron sextile natal Mercury (March 8th)
Frances McDormand (June 23, 1957, Illinois), nominated best actress for ‘Three Billboards’ – Neptune in Libra
- Neptune square Mars in Leo (out of sign, 1 deg orb)
- Neptune trine Sun in Cancer (out of sign, 2 deg orb)
- Neptune square Venus in Cancer (9 deg orb)
- Neptune at the 29th degree, sextile Pluto, square Uranus, trine BML, opposite Pallas and Juno
Frances McDormand’s major transits around March 4th include:
- Progressed Moon leaves Cancer and enters Leo (February 19th)
- Progressed Moon square Progressed Neptune (February 26th)
- Mercury & Venus opposite natal Jupiter (March 1st, 2nd)
- Mars square natal Jupiter (March 6th)
Margot Robbie (July 2, 1990, Dalby, Australia), nominated best actress for ‘I, Tonya’ – Neptune in Capricorn
- Neptune opposite Sun & Mercury conjunction in Cancer (4 deg orb)
- Neptune sextile Moon in Scorpio (9 deg orb)
- Neptune opposite Chiron, trine Vesta, sextile Juno, sextile Pluto
Margot Robbie’s major transits around March 4th include:
- Venus & Mercury sextile natal Saturn (March 1st & 2nd)
- Saturn conjunct natal Uranus (March 3rd)
- Sun sextile natal Neptune (March 3rd)
- Mars trine natal Mars (March 5th)
- Sun trine natal Pluto (March 5th)
- Sun trine natal Chiron (March 8th)
- She is currently experiencing her Saturn Return (although she won’t have the exact conjunction until next year)
Saoirse Ronan (April 12, 1994, New York), nominated best actress for ‘Lady Bird’ – Neptune in Capricorn
- Mars in Pisces (the dispositor of her Aries Sun & Mercury)
- Neptune square Sun in Aries (1 deg orb)
- Saturn in Pisces
- Neptune sextile North Node, square Juno, trine Ceres
Saoirse Ronan’s major transits around March 4th include:
- Mars trine natal Sun (March 4th)
- Mercury & Venus (& Chiron) trine natal Pluto (March 4th)
- Mercury & Venus conjunct natal Mars (March 5th)
Meryl Streep (June 22, 1949, 8:05 am, New Jersey), nominated best actress for ‘The Post’ – Neptune in Libra
- Neptune trine Mars in Gemini (4 deg orb)
- Neptune trine Mercury in Gemini (2 deg orb)
- Neptune in the 3rd House, quincunx Moon, sextile Pluto, square Juno
Meryl Streep’s major transits around March 4th include…
- North Node conjunct natal Pluto (February 20th)
- Sun sextile natal Moon (March 4th)
- Mars trine natal North Node (March 6th)
- Mercury sextile natal Jupiter, square natal Sun, square natal Uranus (March 6th)
The 5 Nominees for Best Actor in a Leading Role are…
Daniel Kaluuya (May 8th, 1989, London), nominated best actor for ‘Get Out’ – Neptune in Capricorn
- Neptune opposite Mars in Cancer (6 deg orb)
- Neptune trine Sun in Taurus (5 deg orb)
- North Node in Pisces
- Neptune sextile Pluto, trine Ceres, square BML, quincunx Jupiter
Daniel Kaluuya’s major transits around March 4th include:
- He is currently experiencing his 1st Saturn Return (the exact conjunction will be next year)
- Sun square natal Jupiter (March 1st)
- Sun sextile natal Neptune (March 2nd)
- Venus sextile natal Venus (March 4th)
- Sun trine natal Pluto (March 4th)
- Sun sextile natal Saturn (March 4th)
- Mercury & Venus (& Chiron) sextile natal Venus (March 4th)
- Mercury & Venus (& Chiron) square natal Moon (March 5th)
- Solar Arc Mercury conjunct natal Chiron (March 10th)
Gary Oldman (March 21, 1958, possible 10:56 am birth time, London), nominated best actor for ‘Darkest Hour’ – Neptune in Scorpio
- Neptune square Mars in Aquarius (1 deg orb)
- Midheaven in Pisces
- Neptune in the 4th/5th house, square Uranus, conjunct North Node
Gary Oldman’s major transits around March 4th include:
- Progressed Moon square Progress Mars (February 20th)
- Sun conjunct MC (March 1st)
- Venus & Mercury (& Chiron) square Saturn (March 3rd)
- Sun trine Ascendant (March 3rd)
- Mercury & Venus conjunct natal Sun (March 6th)
Denzel Washington (December 28, 1954, 12:09 am birth time, New York), nominated best actor for ‘Roman J. Israel, Esq.’ – Neptune in Libra
- Mars in Pisces
- Neptune in the 1st House (the apex of a tight t-square with Uranus, Jupiter, and Chiron), sextile Pluto
Denzel Washington’s major transits around March 4th include:
- Jupiter conjunct natal Venus (March 1st)
- Chiron trine natal Jupiter (March 2nd)
- Chiron sextile natal Chiron (March 3rd)
- Saturn conjunct natal Mercury (March 3rd)
- Venus & Mercury (& Chiron) trine natal Uranus, trine natal Jupiter, & sextile natal Chiron (March 3rd, 4th)
- Saturn square natal Ascendant (March 4th)
- Sun conjunct natal Mars (March 7th)
- Sun trine natal Saturn (March 8th)
Timothee Chalamet (Dec. 26th, 1995, Manhattan), nominated best actor for ‘Call Me by Your Name’ – Neptune in Capricorn
- Neptune conjunct Mars in Capricorn (4 deg orb)
- Moon in Pisces
- Neptune conjunct Mercury in Capricorn (2 deg orb)
- Saturn in Pisces (the dispositor of his Capricorn Mars & Mercury)
- Neptune conjunct Juno, conjunct Uranus, square Nodal axis, square Pallas
Timothee Chalamet’s major transits around March 4th include:
- Progressed Venus sextile Progressed Jupiter (February 14th)
- Progressed Moon square natal Saturn (February 19th)
- Venus & Mercury sextile natal Neptune (March 2nd, 3rd)
- Mercury & Venus (& Chiron) square natal Jupiter (March 5th)
- Mercury & Venus trine natal Pluto (March 7th, 8th)
Daniel Day-Lewis (April 29, 1957, London), nominated best actor for ‘Phantom Thread’ – Neptune in Scorpio
- Neptune trine Mars in Gemini (out of sign – 5 deg orb)
- Neptune opposite Sun in Taurus (8 deg orb)
- Neptune opposite Moon in Taurus (1 deg orb)
- Neptune square Uranus, sextile Pluto
Daniel Day-Lewis major transits around March 4th include:
- Venus & Mercury opposite natal Jupiter (Feb. 28th, March 1st)
- Sun sextile natal Venus, square natal Saturn (March 3rd)
- Venus & Mercury (& Chiron) square natal Mars (March 4th)
- Mars square natal Jupiter (March 4th)
- Progressed Moon conjunct natal Venus (March 19th)
Phew… that was a lot of research and detailed work with planets, aspects, and degrees. I cannot guarantee a typo-less assessment of these 10 charts (especially on a Sun conjunct Neptune day??), but hopefully I somehow accessed some Virgo skills to get all these details sorted!
Pssst… for additional and more frequent cosmic weather updates, follow Lilith Rebellion on Instagram and Facebook. To receive a weekly cosmic weather overview by email, subscribe to Lilith Rebellion email updates. The week’s cosmic weather forecast will be published on the blog every Monday, with periodic additional posts to mark important cosmic events